More than 150 voyeurism and flashing reports in Hertfordshire

Hertfordshire Police is supporting the new national policing framework which has been put in place to radically reduce violence against women and girls

Friday, 7th January 2022, 3:10 pm

Voyeurs and flashers were reported to Hertfordshire police more than 150 times during the first year of the coronavirus pandemic – but justice will be served in few of those cases, past figures suggest.

Campaigners calling for a 'radical overhaul' of the response to low-level sex crimes say the criminal justice system is failing victims, after just 14 per cent of voyeurism or indecent exposure crimes across England and Wales ended with a charge or court summons in 2020-21.

The most recent Home Office recorded crime data shows Hertfordshire Police received 162 reports of voyeurism or flashing crimes in the year to March 2021– though this was down from the 197 recorded the year before.

Sign up to our daily Hemel Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police stock image

Different data shows cases of this nature are often shelved before reaching a courtroom, with 26 of the 141 investigations (18 per cent) closed during the same period in the area resulting in a suspect being charged or summonsed.

Forces across England and Wales recorded 10,200 such crimes in 2020-21, again down from 10,800 the year before.

And another 3,300 were recorded between April and June 2021 – 55 in Hertfordshire.

Prior to the impact of the pandemic, which led to crime rates dropping, the number of offences had been climbing steadily in recent years.

A spokesperson for Hertfordshire Police said: “We fully understand that incidents of indecent exposure and voyeurism can be extremely distressing for those who are subject to them and also cause concern among the wider community.

"We take these reports very seriously, investigate, and work with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to make a joint decision on charging and prosecute where there is evidence to do so.

"We would urge anyone who has been a victim of indecent exposure or voyeurism to report it to police – it will help us build up perpetrator profiles and a greater understanding of this kind of crime.

"The victim’s views will always be taken into account when considering the most appropriate criminal justice resolution and we’re continuing to improve our support to victims when they do report.”

Hertfordshire Police is supporting the new national policing framework which has been put in place to radically reduce violence against women and girls.

Residents can report areas where they feel unsafe via the national StreetSafe scheme. In Hertfordshire, every report is fed back to the local Safer Neighbourhood Team who consider each problem and how best to address it.

Metropolitan Police officer Wayne Couzens was accused of indecent exposure six years before he murdered Sarah Everard and was said to have exposed his genitals in a fast-food restaurant just days before the killing.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct is now investigating allegations that officers failed to adequately probe the claims.

Read More

Read More
Dacorum Borough Council launches app to help homes save on energy bills

Data shows 40 per cent of the 10,400 cases closed nationally in 2020-21 were dropped due to difficulties gathering evidence, with one in six of those closed before a suspect could be identified.

Campaign group End Violence Against Women and Girls called for more research into the response to "lower level" sex offences and whether that response contributes to a sense of impunity in men who go onto commit more serious crimes.

Deputy director Deniz Ugur said: "It's abundantly clear the current system is failing women and girls when incidents like street harassment, groping and flashing are almost universally experienced by women and girls across their lifetimes, and then are so often trivialised or dismissed if reported."

She said a radical overhaul of the policing and criminal justice system's response to violence against women was needed to ensure the "drivers and actions of perpetrators" were properly investigated and victims supported to access justice.

A Government spokeswoman said police forces "must tackle violence against women and girls head on".

She said the Government is funding a new national policing lead to tackle violence against women and girls in recognition of the seriousness of the issue and the need to drive improvements.

She said: "We expect forces to take the necessary action to treat reports of these crimes with the care and sensitivity they deserve.”