Kings' cup hangover continues with defeat at Banbury

Immanuelson Duku goes close. Picture: Chris Riddell.Immanuelson Duku goes close. Picture: Chris Riddell.
Immanuelson Duku goes close. Picture: Chris Riddell.
Kings Langley's cup hangover continued as they fell to a three goal defeat in the league on Saturday for the first time since January 2015.

An extraordinary match at Banbury revolved round a six minute spell in the first half when United netted three times and effectively settled the result.

Kings were without a fourth regular, Kyle Anthony, but paraded new signing Mahlondo Martin in midfield and began promisingly with Immanuelson Duku getting to a low Oran Swales cross just before Jack Harding, but the ball spun to safety off the keeper.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

With both sides playing a similar passing game it was an entertaining but otherwise uneventful opening with the Puritans having their first shot on 20 minutes.

Four minutes later they went in front when a right wing high through ball found George Jeacock who ran on to lob the advancing Danny Boness.

Local radio commented that Kings were probably surprised and a little unlucky to find themselves behind, but worse was to follow for the visitors as Conor McDonagh got to a Callum White through ball before Jorell Johnson and calmly drilled it past Boness.

Then a right wing corner was headed home by the imposing figure of skipper Ricky Johnson, a centre back bizarrely wearing the number nine shirt.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The interval saw a double substitution for Langley and for the first quarter of an hour it was they who had the most possession, with Martin showing some neat touches in trying to set up attacks.

However, there was little in the way of penetration and the United back three dealt effectively with the runs of Kings’ front pairing, while the passing of the midfield lacked crispness.

Banbury were quite happy with what they held, although they still looked effective on the break and there was a rare moment for away fans when Gary Connolly’s on target shot was deflected for a corner.

In the final minute, an astute through ball left Duku one-on-one with Harding, but the keeper pulled off a brave save at his feet to deny Kings any consolation.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Another disappointing afternoon, but a strange match to analyse, as Kings didn’t play particularly badly, probably matching their opponents for long spells, but Banbury’s six minute purple patch told another story.

Kings visit Kings Lynn Town on Tuesday and then host St Ives Town on Saturday.

Related topics: