Family pay tribute to 'caring' Tring man who was killed in incident on Grand Union Canal

Thames Valley Police are investigating the incident and two arrests have been made

Thursday, 29th April 2021, 4:41 pm
Updated Thursday, 29th April 2021, 4:42 pm

The family of a man from Tring who died after an incident on the Grand Union Canal in Aylesbury on Monday (April 26) have paid tribute to him.

Thames Valley Police attended a report of an assault on the Grand Union Canal near Broughton in Aylesbury at around 12.20pm. On attendance, a man was found with serious injuries.

He tragically died at the scene despite efforts of officers and paramedics.

Clive Porter

Following a formal identification procedure today (Thursday, April 29), the victim has been identified as Clive Porter, 63, from Tring.

Mr Porter previously served as a police officer for Hertfordshire Constabulary.

In a statement issued today, his family said: “Clive Porter was a much loved husband, dad and grandad. He was a quiet, calm and caring person, who served the community as a police officer for over 30 years before joining the Canal and River Trust.

"He was loved and respected by all who met him. Clive had a passion for working outdoors and meeting people.

"He believed in caring for people and the environment through the principle of policing by the people for the people.

“The family would like to thank the hard working investigation team at Thames Valley Police and also the family liaisons DC James Armitage and DC Lynda Stearman for their hard work and support.

“The family have also been overwhelmed by all the support and messages of condolence they have received from friends, family and the wider community.”

Members of Clive Porter’s family have requested for their privacy to be respected at this difficult time.

Thames Valley Police are investigating the incident and two arrests have been made.

A 34-year-old man of no fixed abode has been arrested on suspicion of murder, and a 41-year-old woman from Birmingham has been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender and perverting the course of justice.

The woman has been released on police bail until 24 May, whilst the man is in the custody of officers receiving hospital treatment.

A Home Office post mortem was carried out on Wednesday (April 28), and the cause of death is currently pending.

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Chief Inspector Andy Shearwood, of Thames Valley Police’s Major Crime Unit said: “Officers are continuing with this investigation into the death of Mr Porter, and we have made two arrests in connection with it.

“I’d like to offer reassurance to the community that we are not looking for anyone else in connection with this offence.

“However we would continue to ask that anyone who can provide information in relation to this investigation contacts us.

"I would specifically like to appeal to anyone that was using the canal towpath near Broughton crossing between 12pm and 12.30pm on Monday (26/4) and may have information to contact us urgently. We believe that anyone there between those times could be vital witnesses.

“You can do this be calling 101, and quoting reference 845 (26/4).

“You can also report 100 per cent anonymously by calling the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

“I would like to extend the force’s thoughts and sympathies with the family and close friends of Mr Porter, and request that their privacy is respected at this very difficult time.”