Camelot third XV end the year in style with a thumping win over Old Ashmolians

First for sport
First for sport

Hemel Hempstead Camelot III put Old Ashmolians to the sword once again as they ran out 38-7 victors to see out 2015 in style.

With all to play for and a chance to reverse their defeat from two weeks ago, Old Ashmolians decided to bolster their squad with some fresh faces – desperate not to lose the last game of the year.

Camelot, on the other hand, were travelling 22-strong until last minute injuries sustained during the week and some unforeseen circumstances saw the side reduced to 15 men on the day.

No subs and two injured scrum halves saw Gino Di Castri (usually front row) step up to the plate and what an awesome game he had – electric off the back of the scrum and like a wall in defence.

The first half saw some beautiful flowing rugby from Hemel, with the forwards driving holes in the opposition and Lee Wilmott hungry to win every ball in the scrum, including the opposition’s put in.

After a great break from Andy Tongue, the ball was sent flowing through the backs to see one of the forwards, Max Wittrick, join the back line and drive into the corner to score the first try.

Camelot who were playing into the wind, but this didn’t deter them as they sent the ball to centre David Leahy who broke through the defence and scored under the posts.

As Old Ashmolians kicked off, the Hemel forwards secured the ball through Robert Millar who took the ball in and, with Richard Wittrick and Ben Goodman supporting him well, drove the ball 10 metres through the Old Ashmolian defence.

Di Castri fed captain Damian Knowles who broke the back line and passed to Leahy who again left everyone for dead as he scored a superb second solo try.

Feeling confident, Camelot received a dubious penalty in the second half which Old Ashmolians capitalised on to get a try of their own.

However, Camelot took the return kick-off which was caught by John Gunstone and the ball was recycled quickly, with Tom Gough storming through the middle.

After four great phases, the ball went out to the back line and a stunning pass from Leahy out to Daniel Tufa allowed him to run past the defence and score under the posts.

A deflated old Ashmolians side kicked off again – this time not going the required 10 yards – and some quick play saw the ball secured and whipped out through the backs.

After several great phases of rugby the ball was stolen by Old Ashmolians who chipped the ball over the top straight into Stuart Stafford’s arms, and the forward flew like a back into the corner for the fifth try.

With only a few minutes left to play, Alex Goodley caught the ball from kick-off and cut through the defence before being taking down with a high tackle. With a penalty 5m from the try line, no-one was going to stop Ollie Millar from ploughing through three of the Old Ashmolian players and scoring under the posts to seal the win.