Wasteful Leverstock Green are held by Harefield United

First for sports news
First for sports news

Leverstock Green paid the price for not converting their chances as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Harefield United in Saturday’s SSML Premier Division game at Pancake Lane.

The Green side had more of the ball from the outset and pushed forward, with James Budden heading wide from a Tommy Walsh corner in the fourth minute.

However, it was the visitors who had the game’s first real chance. In the 11th minute Lee Clark’s ball from the halfway line found Daniel Awonusi on the edge of the box. Awonusi got in a shot which was saved by debutant Green keeper Liam McDonagh, before Awonusi put the rebound across the face of goal.

Levy had a string of chances in a short spell later in the half. In the 34th minute a cross from Callum Wright found Louis Bircham, who worked the ball onto his left foot, but his shot was blocked wide by a defender.

A minute later Chris Blunden was through on goal, but his shot was saved by Harefield keeper Kyle Pater, who then pulled off an ever better save to keep out Blunden’s effort from the rebound.

Levy finally got their deserved goal a minute into the second half. Breaking quickly from a Harefield free-kick, a pass from Bircham put Donaldson clean through again, and this time he slotted the ball past Pater and in off the post to open the scoring.

The lead should have been doubled a few minutes later when Bircham ran into the box, but his ball across goal eluded Blunden and Donaldson shot over the bar.

Harefield were gifted a chance on 55 minutes when James Budden gave the ball away on the halfway line leaving Awonusi through, but McDonagh came out of his penalty area and tackled Awonusi to clear the danger.

However, Harefield did get their equaliser six minutes later. Jack Reader ran at goal before putting Dominic Dickinson through. His shot was blocked, but the rebound went back towards goal where Junior Ayaloleru had a simple tap-in to level the scores at 1-1.

Green could have gone straight back in front, but a shot from Blunden was kept out by another great block, and on 79 minutes a free-kick from Bircham found Budden at the far post, but he put the ball into the side netting.

The game could have gone either way in stoppage time. A mistake by Joe Horwood gifted a chance to Harefield sub Zane Campbell-Rose, but McDonagh did well to dive at his feet and claim the ball.

Seconds later at the other end Luke Preedy had a chance to win it for Leverstock but shot wide as the game finished all square.

The draw keeps Leverstock’s unbeaten league start going, and they will hope to get back to winning ways on Tuesday night when they travel to FC Broxbourne Borough.

Leverstock Green: 1. Liam McDonagh, 2. Damien Cruickshank (17. Julian Smith 86 mins), 3. Joe Horwood, 4. Liam O’Keefe, 5. James Budden, 6. Lee Faulkner (16. Timi Salako 73 mins), 7. Tommy Walsh, 8. Curtis Donaldson, 9. Louis Bircham, 10. Chris Blunden (15. Luke Preedy 76 mins), 11. Callum Wright. Subs not used: 12. Billy Smith, 14. Gavin Smith.

Harefield United: 1. Kyle Pater, 2. Shane Ely, 3. Steve Green, 4. Adam Murphy, 5. Chevy Hart, 6. Stefan Pryce (12. Dominic Dickinson 40 mins), 7. Junior Ayaloleru, 8. James McAlinden (15. Alden Trenholme 56 mins), 9. Daniel Awonusi (14. Zan Campbell-Rose 80 mins), 10. Jack Reader, 11. Lee Clark.