Jordan fires Hemel to Trophy win

Jordan Parkes celebrates after scoring a penalty. Picture by Darren Kelly
Jordan Parkes celebrates after scoring a penalty. Picture by Darren Kelly

Skipper Jordan Parkes was once again Hemel Hempstead’s late, late penalty hero as Sutton United were beaten 1-0 in the FA Trophy.

It was a case of deja vu for Parkes, who scored an injury-time spot-kick to seal a 2-1 Conference South win for Hemel against Sutton in November.

On that occasion, Moussa Diarra was fouled in the box in stoppage time, and Parkes scored. This time, it was again Diarra who was fouled, this time in the 84th minutes, and once again Parkes did the business.

The goal was tough on 10-man Sutton.

The visitors had the better of the first period creating several chances with Craig Dundas causing the home side several problems with his pace and control.

The Tudors didn’t actually test Tom Lovelock in the visitors goal until the 35th minute when Murphy’s overhead effort was easily saved. Dundas then went up the other end, cut inside but then blasted over the bar.

The first real talking point of the game came just before half time when Bedsente Gomis was somewhat harshly shown a red card after he fouled Wes Daly.

It looked like a 50/50 challenge but Gomis caught Daly slightly late and was dismissed by referee Lloyd Wood. Hawkins hit the bar for Hemel shortly after but at half time it remained 0-0.

At the start of the second period, Oliver Hawkins was replaced by James Potton for Hemel and further substitutions saw Zac Reynolds and Daniel Talbot come on giving The Tudors more options with the ball getting played on the floor.

Ed Asafu-Adjaye and Reynolds combined to set up Jordan Parkes but he headed over from close range.

Sutton’s rear guard continued to hold firm but in the 84th minute Moussa Diarra was pushed in the back right in front of the referee who pointed to the spot and for the second time this season, Jordan Parkes stepped up to score what proved to be the winning goal.