Improved Levy Green hit by FA Cup sucker punch

Leverstock Green fell to a late sucker punch to exit the FA Cup at the first hurdle despite doing enough to earn at least a replay at home to London Colney.

Monday, 8th August 2016, 3:31 pm
Updated Monday, 8th August 2016, 4:35 pm
First for sports news PNL-140425-121522003

Paul Hunt had regular keeper Liam Jahn back in the side, and with new signing Brima Johnson and Shane Wood coming into the back four as captain.

Leverstock had their first effort on goal in the ninth minute when Ryan Luke played in Lewis Bowers, who shot over the bar. Three minutes later the visitors had their first effort when the ball dropped to Greg Shaw just outside the box, but his shot also went over the bar.

London Colney had the game’s first real chance on 32 minutes when a pass from Mark Riddick put Archie McClelland clean through on goal, but as McClelland tried to take the ball round Jahn, the Green keeper stood his ground and dived to claim the ball.

Instead, it was 1-0 to Levy two minutes later, as Curtis Donaldson floated a free kick into the box, and George Biggadike got there ahead of hesitant keeper Tom Gowans to head home.

There could have been a second goal a minute before the break when a header from Alex McCarthy gave Aaron Lewis a chance, but his shot was turned round the post by Cowans.

Leverstock went agonisingly close to a second goal again within two minutes of the restart as Shane Wood met Donaldson’s corner with a thumping header that rattled the crossbar. However, it was the visitors who scored the game’s next goal on 62 minutes after Leverstock couldn’t clear a corner, and substitute Jon Clements scored at the second time of asking after his first effort had been blocked on the line.

Clements almost put his side in front three minutes later, but his shot was cleared off the line by Ryan Luke. Aaron Lewis fired over the bar on 69 minutes and Joel Williams smashed a long-range shot just wide ten minutes later for Leverstock.

Eight minutes from time, though, the visitors went in front. Clements hit a shot from way out near the right touchline and the ball flew past Jahn into the net for a 2-1 Colney lead.

There was almost an instant equaliser at the other end, but Ross Adams’ header went just wide.

Levy Green: 1. Liam Jahn, 2. Ryan Luke (12. Ashley Addison 90+1 mins), 3. Brima Johnson, 4. Joel Williams, 5. George Biggadike, 6. Shane Wood, 7. Curtis Donaldson, 8. Alex McCarthy (14. Shaun Owens 66 mins), 9. Lewis Bowers (15. Bradley Hedges 66 mins), 10. Aaron Lewis, 11. Ross Adams. Subs not used: 16. Jake Williamson, 17. James Armstrong, 18. Zak Howells.

Green begin their league season with a local derby at Tring Athletic on Tuesday night, kick-off 7.45pm.