Hutton spot on as Kings see off Barton to maintain title charge

It remains neck-and-neck at the top of the Southern League Division 1 Central as Egham Town and Kings Langley both recorded victories on Saturday, while third placed Royston Town lost at home to Godalming Town.

Sunday, 10th April 2016, 5:35 pm
Updated Sunday, 10th April 2016, 6:37 pm
Immanuelson Duku puts the ball past the keeper to score Kings Langley's first goal. Picture (c) Chris Riddell

Immanuelson Duku and David Hutton got the goals for Kings Langley in their 2-0 win at Barton Rovers to maintain their title challenge, as the fight for top spot looks set to go right down to the wire.

Kings gave starts to wide front men Duku and Lorenzo Ferrari, and the selection paid off as early as the ninth minute, when Hutton sprayed a ball out to Duku and he did well to get goalside of his opposite number before chipping the outcoming Kyle Forster.

Rovers replied by forcing a series of corners, one of which nearly resulted in an own-goal, but the next clear chance fell to the visitors as a low Duku cross was spooned over from close range by the usually lethal Mitchell Weiss.

David Hutton bagged the second Kings Langley goal from the penalty spot. Picture (c) Chris Riddell

At the other end, Lucas Perry got himself into a great position, but his shot was held by keeper Xavi Comas.

The second half was more notable for an abundance of attacking long balls and little was seen of Kings’ characteristic interpassing game.

Hutton was the exception, displaying some silky skills and entering into a contest with the impressive Forster that saw the keeper bring off two top saves when the playmaker was through on goal.

Barton matched their higher placed opponents for most of an evenly matched contest, but rarely looked like getting the better of man of the match Stuart Deaton and his central partner Connor Toomey.

David Hutton bagged the second Kings Langley goal from the penalty spot. Picture (c) Chris Riddell

As Kings edged closer to grinding out the result, Hutton went on another foray through the home defence and this time was unceremoniously felled by skipper Paul Andrews, giving the referee no option but to point to the spot.

Hutton stepped up to dispatch the kick, but the resulting celebrations led to the otherwise impressive Emmanuel Folarin receiving a second yellow card.

This was the only blot on a Langley performance that bore the hallmark required of potential champions.