From 3-0 up to 4-3 down...Levy stunned by Wembley

First for sports news
First for sports news

Leverstock Green’s run of defeats continued in extraordinary fashion as they went from 3-0 up to 4-3 down against Wembley within the space of 20 minutes.

Up until Wembley scored their first goal it had been an excellent performance from Green, but the collapse that followed was alarming.

Leverstock started the game strongly and, following a string of near-misses, they finally broke the deadlock in the 13th minute as a quick ball forward put Curtis Donaldson through on goal.

His shot was parried by the keeper, but Louis Bircham followed up to head home the rebound and put Green 1-0 up.

The lead was doubled in the 21st minute when Bircham swung in a free-kick and Reece McArthur headed home.

Wembley then had a couple of chances, with Calvin Kasirye hitting the post, but Leverstock were well worth their 2-0 half time lead.

Four minutes into the second half it became 3-0 when Bircham put Chris Blunden through on goal and he finished emphatically with a fierce shot.

There was a heated moment just after the hour mark involving McArthur and Wembley’s veteran Ian Bates which saw both players escape with a yellow card when it could have been more.

McArthur was substituted shortly afterwards, but not before Wembley had pulled a goal back on 64 minutes.

Joe Wright was through on goal, and Levy keeper Jack Laney came racing out to the edge of the box to meet him with a challenge that might have conceded a penalty, but Wright recovered the ball and lifted it into the empty net.

The goal offered a glimmer of hope to Wembley, but with the Leverstock defence suddenly losing its composure, it became much more as they put the pressure on.

On 69 minutes Adam Humphries crossed to the far post where Billy Smith came in to head home a second Wembley goal. Two minutes later, Yassine Fehmi-Gil looked set to score the equaliser in a goalmouth scramble but Faulkner cleared off the line.

However, it was only delaying the inevitable, as Leverstock again struggled to clear the ball from their own box and Calvin Kasirye shot home the equaliser on 74 minutes.

The question was now whether Levy could at least hang on for a point, and the answer was no.

On 84 minutes a Wembley cross to the far post looked to be no danger as it fell for Damien Cruickshank, but his attempt to trap the ball only ended up putting it on a plate for Smith, and the former Green man blasted home to cap a spectacular comeback.