Biggleswade sink Comrades as Boyd doubles up

Alex Foster is denied by Biggleswade keeper Grant Beckwith
Alex Foster is denied by Biggleswade keeper Grant Beckwith

Some careless defending in the first half doomed Berkhamsted to defeat as Biggleswade United completed an SSML Premier Division double over the Comrades.

The 3-2 defeat saw the Comrades slip a couple of places down the table and leaves them six points adrift of table-topping Kings Langley.

The Broadwater pitch had dried out nicely after heavy rain the previous night, and there were two goals in the first 10 minutes to entertain the crowd.

Jack Boyd pounced when Berko’s Courtney Massey failed to clear the ball and got in a shot from near the penalty spot to put United in front.

Within a minute, Josh Chamberlain equalised with his 22nd goal of the season to move ahead in the battle for the Berko leading scorer this season.

Adiel Mannion crossed from the right and Chamberlain converted successfully.

Berko had chances to get in front, with Ashley Morrissey twice foiled before Alex Foster dribbled into the danger area only for Grant Beckwith to pick up the ball and the penalty appeal was turned down.

United got back in front when Sam Nair broke past the defence before shooting inside the far post.

It was soon 3-1 when Reynaldo Carbon looked to have pushed the ball too far in front of him to be a danger, but Ed Canham made enough contact for the referee to award a penalty as Carbon tumbled over.

Boyd sent Tasker the wrong way to leave Berko a mountain to climb in the remaining 70 minutes.

Comrades manager Mick Vipond made two changes at half-time, bringing on Max Farrelly and Ryan Laville.

It was Laville who made it 3-2 with a shot along the ground past Beckwith, as he broke down the centre of the pitch.

At the other end, Berko had to watch United on the break and Canham kicked off his own line to deny Carbon.

Berko pressed hard for the equaliser and Louis Bircham came on, but Beckwith saved his shots on a couple of occasions.

Chamberlain struck the bar with a free-kick from 20 yards out and Morrissey struck the post from the rebound, but was ruled to be offside as Berko were left empty-handed.