Berko are on a roll as they win three in just eight days

Berkhamsted notched their third victory in eight days on Saturday at Broadwater, keeping a rare clean sheet when hosting St Margaretsbury.

Wednesday, 15th March 2017, 3:20 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 11:11 am

Ikem Odeh got a long overdue first goal to earn the points with a first-half strike.

New signing Simon Sweeney started at right back for Berko. He scored eight goals in 45 appearances for the old Berko Town side, from where Steve Bateman took him on to play in higher leagues with Chesham United and Slough Town.

At the railway end Adam Seymour was a busy man in the visitors’ goal and he had to save with his legs when Odeh burst through.

Sign up to our daily Hemel Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

What looked like an accidental clash of heads ended with a visiting player going to hospital for stitches and Max Farrelly having a blood shirt change and a yellow card.

The referee played a good advantage when Alex Campana was fouled and the ball came to Odeh who beat two men and placed a low shot under Seymour to put The Comrades in front after 36 minutes.

Carl Tasker had a quiet time as St Margaretsbury only threatened with the odd breakaway but he did produce one fine save after the interval.

The visitors have just dropped into the relegation zone and defended bravely.

It was Berko’s fourth win of the season over St Margaretsbury, who they knocked out of two cups as well as doing a league double over them.

Berko won through to the quarter-final of the Challenge Trophy last Thursday night, 48 hours after it was postponed due to a road accident.

Ed Canham had an eventful period spanning the half. He got booked just before the break and within seconds of the restart scored an own goal, when the ball looked to be running away to safety, until he slid in and connected at the back post when trying to put the ball wide.

He made amends with a firm headed equaliser after a cross supplied by Campana.

Left-back Dan Weeks ventured forward to net what proved to be the winner from the rebound, with half an hour to go.

Berko were due to go to Thame Rangers in the quarter-final of the Challenge Trophy last night but that will now be rearranged as Rangers’ ground is being used for an Oxfordshire cup semi-final.

This Saturday they travel to Stotfold in the Premier Division.

Berko then take on Tring Athletic in the final of the Herts Charity Shield the following Tuesday, March 21, at Hemel Hempstead Town’s Vauxhall Road ground.

This match is sure to bring in a large crowd (7.45pm).