Battling Levy Green lose out to Hertford Town

First for sports news
First for sports news

Leverstock Green again came away with nothing after Hertford Town came back from two goals down to win Saturday’s SSML Premier Division game 3-2.

In a quick-fire start to the game, Leverstock were two goals up within the opening 12 minutes.

In the eighth minute a quick reverse pass from Ashley Addison put Curtis Donaldson through the centre of the Hertford defence, and Donaldson outpaced the chasing defender before drilling home a low shot from the edge of the box.

Four minutes later it was almost an action replay, as this time a pass from Connor Deadman put Donaldson through, and again the Green skipper made no mistake as he fired home past Hertford keeper Harry Ricketts for a 2-0 lead.

A minute later Hertford striker James Ewington had a couple of half-chances inside the box, but Liam Jahn saved on both occasions.

Alex McCarthy had a good effort from distance on 25 minutes which was just wide of the Hertford goal, and a minute Addison ran from one penalty box to the other before laying off for Deadman, who shot over the bar.

On 31 minutes Hertford gave the ball away on the edge of their own box to Deadman, who hit a fierce shot which was kept out by a superb save from Ricketts.

Six minutes later Ricketts pulled off another top save from Donaldson, who had been set up by Ollie Buckley.

The Levy defence had been keeping their shape and discipline well, until on 41 minutes a momentary loss of concentration allowed Ewington to burst through and shoot past Jahn to put his side back in the game.

As the second half opened Leverstock continued to look assured, and Addison got up to meet a cross from Donaldson but his header rattled the crossbar.

On 69 minutes a Leverstock corner was cleared, but only as far as Tommy Walsh, who drilled a low shot through a crowd of players but again Ricketts kept it out.

It looked for all the world as though Leverstock would go on to increase their lead, but it was not to be. A minute later, Ewington crossed from the left and Tyler Hatherly nipped in at the near post to fire home the equaliser.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, four minutes later another cross from Ewington bounced around the six-yard box before Leigh Rose pounced to head home for a 3-2 Hertford lead.

Leverstock continued to battle until the end, but they couldn’t create any more chances to get the equaliser.

So for the second time in a week Leverstock were more than competitive against a promotion-chasing outfit, but have not yet got the rewards that their performances deserved.

Manager Paul Hunt said after the game: “I am pleased with the progress of the side in the short space of time we have had together, especially the last two games. I am happy with the players and staff and we will soon climb the table.”

Leverstock now face two games against league leaders Hoddesdon Town, at home on Tuesday night and away next Saturday.

Hertford Town: 1. Harry Ricketts, 2. Ross Clemo (14. Leigh Rose 63 mins), 3. Dominique Njoya, 4. Sam Ruff, 5. Jack Friend, 6. Bradley Fraser, 7. Jordan Watson (12. Jason Brown 87 mins), 8. Louis Rose, 9. James Ewington, 10. Kardan Campbell, 11. Tyler Hatherly. Subs not used: 15. Joe Pearce, 16. Antonio Fusco.

Leverstock Green: 1. Liam Jahn, 2. Dan Bourne, 3. Jack Samuel, 4. Tommy Walsh, 5. Jack Watts, 6. Joe Horwood, 7. Alex McCarthy, 8. Connor Deadman, 9. Ashley Addison, 10. Curtis Donaldson, 11. Ollie Buckley (15. Alfie Boswell 77 mins). Subs not used: 12. Tyler Osbourne, 14. James Bundey, 16. Jack Bridges, 17. Stefan Chiriac.