Awayday joy for Hertfordshire U18s in the FA County Youth Cup

The Hertfordshire FA U18 squad
The Hertfordshire FA U18 squad

The Hertfordshire FA U18s have made it through to the third round of The FA County Youth Cup after a hard fought win away in Wiltshire.

The last time the Hertfordshire FA U18s Representative Team faced Wiltshire FA was in the FA County Youth Cup second round in 2011.

The tie was played in November at The County Ground and saw Wiltshire run out 4-1 winners against the home team.

Determined to right the wrongs of four years ago, the Hertfordshire team travelled to Swindon focussed on securing the right result this time around.

The focus paid off as Hertfordshire got off to the perfect start, taking the lead after only three minutes. Lanre Lapido took advantage of an error from the Wiltshire goalkeeper to roll the ball into the back of the net from 10 yards.

From this point the game was played at a frantic pace, with both teams playing good football to create chances at both ends.

Wiltshire had a brilliant opportunity to level the scores in the 38th minute, however Hertfordshire goalkeeper Marcus Bourne made an excellent double save to deny the hosts an equaliser.

Just before the break Scott Batchelor had a great to chance to double the visitors’ lead, however the Hertfordshire midfielder could only shoot over the bar from close range.

The second half started with a bang for Hertfordshire as they went 2-0 up within 30 seconds of the restart.

Feliz Aborl played a long diagonal ball to Lapido on the right wing, ;the livewire forward then jinked inside the Wiltshire full back before playing the ball across goal for Jarvis Nutt to covert confidently.

The game started to swing from end to end with both teams testing the opposition goalkeeper. Wiltshire pressed for a lifeline, whilst Hertfordshire countered on the break.

After 75 minutes the hosts pressure paid off as they made the score 2-1. Hertfordshire keeper, Bourne, did well to parry a long range drive but could only direct the rebound into the path of an onrushing Wiltshire FA forward.

A nerve racking last 15 minutes for both sets of supporters saw chances at both ends, but Hertfordshire managed to hold on to win the game.

The Hertfordshire FA U18s will now face Staffordshire FA away in the third round of The FA County Youth Cup on December 12.