Celebration time for classy Camelot

CAMELOT retained the Herts Presidents Trophy after an impressive 21-6 defeat of Hitchin on Sunday.

Despite the Old Albanians pitch being snow covered just hours prior to the game, conditions had improved markedly by kick-off.

Hitchin immediately put themselves under pressure as their initial kick went over the touchline and from the resulting scrum, Hemel advanced to the opposition 22.

Despite the early pressure, Hitchin defended well and having returned play to the Camelot half, they eventually won a penalty which they successfully converted to take the lead.

After that score, the Camelot forwards began to dominate, stealing possession from set pieces and piling on the pressure.

After hooker Mike Green broke through from a tap penalty and was tackled just short of the line, Ross Willoughby received the ball and stormed across to touch down for a try which Ray Adde converted giving Camelot the lead at 7-3.

The battle raged on from the restart with Camelot pressing forward looking for the opportunity to score again but they were penalised for off-side offences on two occasions.

Hitchin took advantage of this and won a penalty within sight of the posts which they kicked, narrowing the score to 7-6 at the half time interval.

The second half started with Hitchin on the front foot but the Camelot forwards over-powered their opponents again, driving them off their ball and stealing possession repeatedly.

The Camelot side kept relentless pressure on the opposition and finally won a penalty five metres out from the line.

Number 8 Darren Perry edged the pack forward to the line where Craig Bailey pounced to score a great try which Adde also converted taking the score to 14-6, half an hour into the second half.

Hitchin tried to get immediately back into the game from the restart, advancing deep into Camelot territory.

After forcing a scrum near the Hemel line, it seemed as if it was only a matter of time before Hitchin scored.

However, the Camelot defence stood firm, eventually stealing possession and taking play all the way up to the other end.

Camelot sealed the win when from a scrum five metres out, centre Andy Curtain popped the ball up to winger Stuart Edwards and he gleefully dived over the line.

Adde was on target with his conversion attempt and a 21-6 win was Hemel's.

This Saturday sees Camelot host Barnet in a game they must win to keep their increasingly feint promotion hopes alive.

To mark the end of the season there will be a special event, sponsored by Hardings Renault, aimed at promoting the club.

There will be a whole host of activities laid on for all the family and the event will be starting at 11am with some tag rugby, followed by the Barnet match at 3pm.