Biker suffered 'ferocious' attack over Hells Angels snub, jury told

A biker was partially blinded in a "ferocious" attack after he refused to join the Hells Angels, a court has heard.

Christopher Harrison, aka Swaggers, was allegedly head butted by the president of the Sussex chapter of the motorcycle gang and repeatedly punched outside the Carlisle pub in Hastings.

A barmaid waved down a passing police van to help after finding him unconscious on the ground with his eyes ruptured.

Matthew Barnes, 47, said to be the Sussex Hells Angels boss, and Oliver Wilkinson, 49, are on trial at the Old Bailey accused of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Prosecutor Nicholas Cooper told jurors how the violence erupted on the evening of February 20 2016.

He said Barnes had asked Mr Harrison why he did not want to "wear our colours".

The victim, who is in his 50s, replied: "Cos I don't", to which Barnes allegedly said: "They are perfectly good colours, you know."

Mr Harrison said he was "just not interested" and pointed out there were other colours at the "neutral" pub.

Referring to another motorcycle gang, Barnes then allegedly said: "I hate black and white.

"All black and whites should die."

According to the victim, Barnes then flew in and head butted him, the court heard.

Mr Cooper said: "From then the punches began to rain in.

"They knocked his legs so he fell to the ground, putting knees in, feet in and then he recollects emergency services attending him.

"So Harrison knew that Mr Barnes, the president, had been stood in front of him and that it had been Mr Barnes who attacked first, the head butt, but also Harrison knew that to his left had been stood Wilkinson and that a ferocious punch hit from the left-hand."

Mr Cooper said the victim believed the punch had been targeted at his eyes, jurors were told.

Anne Penfold, who worked at the pub, allegedly saw about six Hells Angels go out to the picnic area where Mr Harrison was attacked.

She saw him unconscious on the floor and shouted and waved at a passing police van, even though Wilkinson told her: "Don't you dare" in an aggressive way, jurors heard.

Afterwards, he allegedly told her: "I have a lot of respect for you Annie, you kept your mouth shut."

Ms Penfold replied: "I have zero respect for you and do not plan on keeping it shut."

The prosecutor told jurors: "What she understood was she was being told or warned about speaking to the police."

He said the message was made even clearer when Wilkinson told her: "If you talk to the police, you and your children are next."

Barnes, of Washington, West Sussex, and Wilkinson, of St Leonards-on-sea, East Sussex, deny the charge against them.

Later, Recorder Brian Altman QC discharged the jury and said the case was being put off until July.

He said the reason was because the case was going to run over its two-week estimate, causing problems for at least two jurors

Copyright (c) Press Association Ltd. 2018, All Rights Reserved.