Two more arrests as police renew appeal for information after attack on football fan Nic

Nicholas Cruwys
Nicholas Cruwys
  • Two more arrests as part of investigation into attack on football fan
  • Nic Cruwys remains in hospital after being assaulted on his way home from Watford’s match away at Wolves
  • Fans held a minute’s applause in the 44th minute of the Hornets win at Wigan on Tuesday night

A total of five teenagers have now been arrested on suspicion of being involved in an assault that left a football supporter fighting for his life.

Yesterday (Tuesday) a 14-year-old from the Parkfields area of Wolverhampton was arrested on suspicion of wounding a day after an 18-year-old man was arrested at an address in Stafford.

He was later bailed pending further enquiries.

Three other teenagers, two aged 18 and a 13-year-old were arrested last week and have been bailed pending further enquiries.

A further appeal for information was made last night at Wolves’ match against Sheffield Wednesday.

Speaking on Tuesday, detective inspector Toni Naylor, from Wolverhampton’s violent crime team said: “Nic still remains in a critical but stable condition and his family remain by his side.

“Five arrests have now been made but our investigation is still very much ongoing and we are still appealing for information.

“Wolves FC have approached us and kindly offered to print an appeal in tonight’s matchday programme where we will be urging fans to come forward with information.”

Nic Cruwys, 44, from Hemel Hempstead, was with a group of friends when he was assaulted in Little’s Lane after the Hornets match against Wolverhampton Wanderers on March 7.

The milkman and father-of-two was taken to hospital with head injuries where his condition remains critical but stable.

A minute’s applause was held for Mr Cruwys during the 44th minute of Watford’s league match against Reading on Saturday and again during the 2-0 win at Wigan on Tuesday night, a result which sent the Hornets to the top of the Championship table.

During the 4-1 win over Reading, Watford captain Troy Deeney scored one of the goals and marked it by revealing a T-shirt which had the words ‘For Nic’ written on it.

The Watford squad contributed to the Nic Cruwys Future Football Fund at and tributes have poured in on social media with the hashtag #fornicforpromotion.

Anyone with information that could help the investigation is asked to contact Wolverhampton’s violent crime team on 101.

Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.