Renewed appeal for information five years after murder of delivery driver

Murray Thompson
Murray Thompson
  • Murray Thompson was murdered in a flat in Watford in 2010
  • Murray, 34, worked as a courier at Gil-Lec in Hemel Hempstead
  • Murray’s father Tony Thompson says his son ‘will never be forgotten’

Five years after Murray Thompson was murdered, his family and police are renewing their appeal for information to find his body.

Hemel Hempstead delivery driver Murray, was 34 when he went missing in April 2010 and despite never finding his body, detectives from the joint Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit used specialist forensic techniques to prove he was murdered in a flat in St Albans Road, Watford.

Murray worked as a courier at Gil-Lec, an electrical supply shop based in McDonalds Way, Hemel Hempstead, and lived in the area before his death.

In September 2012, James Evans, who is 26 and from Bushey Mill Lane in Watford, was given a life sentence after being found guilty of murder, perverting the course of justice and conspiracy to produce cannabis.

He was given a minimum term of 21 years in prison, despite a failed appeal against his sentence at a later hearing.

Murray’s father Tony Thompson said: “Murray is still greatly missed by his family and friends.

“His friends meet up each year on his birthday and no doubt they will be marking this occasion as well.

“He has certainly not been forgotten and will never be forgotten by us.

“Every day he is in our thoughts; he’s never out of our thoughts.

“When you have had a son for 34 years they are still very clear in your memory.

“You can’t believe he is never going to turn up again and sometimes I can still see and hear him.

“I miss him very much; he was my only relation, which is particularly tough.

“If only we had some clue as to exactly what happened and where he is, it would be some sort of closure for us.

“We still have such uncertainty.

“We know people are serving time for this, but they haven’t given anything away.

“I’d like to get through to James Evans about what grief he has caused and to have our many questions answered, not least where Murray is.

“At the time of his disappearance we offered a reward for information and that offer still stands.

“We just want to know where he is so please, if you have any information about where Murray is, please tell the police or Crimestoppers.”

Detective chief inspector Jerome Kent from the Joint Major Crime Unit led the investigation.

He said: “Whilst we were able to provide some closure for the family by obtaining a successful conviction, we know that five years on the pain of not being able to put Murray to rest is still very real.

“Evans never revealed anything about the circumstances of what happened the day Murray was killed, nor about where he left his body.

“He remains in prison and will do for a long time to come, so anyone who may have information about where Murray is can come forward, safe in that knowledge.

“Please tell us what you know.”

Two further men were convicted in connection with the investigation.

Lee Sullivan, 50, of Hudson Close in Watford, was found guilty of perverting the course of justice and three counts of intimidation of witnesses and pleaded guilty to conspiracy to producing cannabis.

He was sentenced to eight years.

Amit Agar, 35, of Parkfield in Chorleywood, was found guilty of perverting the course of justice, conspiracy to produce cannabis and intimidation of a witness.

He was sentenced to seven years imprisonment and ordered to pay £50,000 costs.

Anyone with information about the murder is asked to contact Hertfordshire Constabulary on 01707 354000.

Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.