Look out for signs of illegal raves and large gathering, urges Hertfordshire Police

Call comes after incident near Dacorum

Monday, 6th July 2020, 3:16 pm
Updated Monday, 6th July 2020, 3:22 pm

Police are asking you - especially if you live in a rural area - to look out for signs of large and unlicensed gatherings following an incident near Dacorum.

With the recent warm weather and gradual easing of lockdown, many people have let down their guard and flocked to beaches, parks and beauty spots to soak up the sun.

But with social distancing very much in place, the police are warning that large gatherings still cannot happen while the country continues its efforts to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Police are cracking down on illegal raves

Officers in Dacorum turned away a vehicle at Pitstone Quarry, just over the border in Bedfordshire. The vehicle contained large speakers and its occupants admitted that they were planning to play music at a large gathering at the well-known beauty spot.

Chief Inspector Chris Treadwell said: “Not only are unlicensed raves illegal but in the current circumstances, they clearly breach the Government measures stating there must be no large gatherings in order to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

“These types of events are dangerous for attendees as there are often no crowd control measures, medical staff or security provision on site. Many people will likely accuse us of being spoilsports but we are here to keep the people of Hertfordshire safe.

“These unlicensed gatherings also pose difficulties for emergency services who, if in the event they are needed on the site, could struggle to access those who need help if no pre-planning has been undertaken by organisers.”

The police are asking the public to be aware of the following signs:

*Cropped bolts on gates

*Flattened or disturbed hedgerows

*People in vehicles stopping to look into a field

*People climbing over a fence or gate to look into a field

*Posters or social media messages advertising a large gathering

*Vehicles entering fields or open spaces

*People unloading sound equipment

You can report information online, launch an online web chat or call the non-emergency number 101.