Herts Police and Crime Commissioner praises 'robust' action as 51 arrests are made following protest
Hertfordshire Police and Crime Commissioner has praised the 'robust action' by police at the Extinction Rebellion protest in Broxbourne at the weekend.
Police have charged 51 people with obstruction of the highway following an Extinction Rebellion (XR) protest in Waltham Cross.
The charges relate to an event outside Newsprinters print works that started at around 10pm on Friday, September 4.
Protesters blockaded the public highway outside the print works preventing vehicles from accessing the site.
Hertfordshire Police and Crime Commissioner David Lloyd has issued the following statement on the Extinction Rebellion protest in Broxbourne.
“I have always championed free speech, of which protest is a key part, but I am very concerned that the focus of this Extinction Rebellion action has been our free press.
“This will have dismayed most reasonable people, including me. The actions went beyond legitimate protest and Hertfordshire police rightly took firm action to end this blockade.
“I was in contact with the Chief Constable during the events and understand from him that it was a difficult and complex operation which presented many challenges to our officers.
“I am pleased that following robust action and dozens of arrests, access roads were successfully cleared and I thank our officers for their hard work in doing so.
“Clearly these are events we do not want to see repeated, and I will be talking to the Chief in the coming days about any lessons which can be learned.”
One person, Natalie Bracht, 45, no address given, has been remanded in custody to appear at Hatfield Magistrates’ Court today (Monday).
The other people who have been charged have been released with strict bail conditions and must appear at St Albans Magistrates’ Court on 27 November (this date may be subject to change).
- Sally Davidson, 33, from Byards Croft, London
- Christopher Smith, 43, of Blagdon Road, New Malden
- Will Farbrother, 39, of Forest Road, Walthamstow
- Sarah Ingram, 39, of Hervey Road, Kidbrooke, London
- Steve Tooze, 56, of Railton Road, London
- Richard Felgate, 28, of Forest Road, Walthamstow
- Rosamund Frost, 29, of Wyatt Park Road, London
- Joel Scott-Halkes, 28, of Thistlewaite Road, London
- Tim Jones, 37, of Wyatt Park Road, London
- Christine Kelly, 61, of Coppetts Road, London
- Gillian Fletcher, 58, of Clifton Road, Wokingham
- Luke Whiting, 24, of Grove Road, London
- Cleodie Rickard, 24, of Roman Road, London
- Lucy Porter, 45, of Craig Hill Road, Bradford
- Susan Hampton, 64, of Lincoln Court, Berkhamsted
- Liam Norton, 35, of Esplanade Gardens, Scarborough
- Eleanor Bujak, 27, of Bracey Street, London
- Laura Frandsen, 30, of Waller Road, London
- Emma Cooper, 29, of Marriott Road, Smethwick
- Casper Hughes, 49, of Commercial Road, Exeter
- Tristain Strange, 38, of Tennyson Street, Swindon
- Elise Yarde, 32, of Gainsford Road, London
- Amir Jones, 39, Fletcher Street, London
- Mandy Leathers, 53, of Springfield Avenue, Bury St Edmunds
- Janna Goldstein, 26, of Essex Street, Birmingham
- Gail Thomas, 51, of Broad Street, Stamford
- Craig Scudder, 54, of Cornwall Road, Harpenden
- Rebeccah Plenderleith, 50, of Peacocks Close, Berkhamsted
- Bethany Mogie, 38, of Kingsbury Avenue, St Albans
- Alice Holmes, 37, of Broad Street, Stamford
- Graham Cox, 58, of The Shrubbery, Hemel Hempstead
- James Ozden, 34, The Avenue, London
- Thomas Lee Newman, 29, of Swan Hill, Bradford
- Nicola Stickall, 50, of High Road, Needham, Norfolk
- Edward Tombes, 59, of Highbury New Park, Islington
- Eleanor McAree, 26, of Ongar Road, Brentwood
- Ben Ramos Wheeler, 19, of Cooks Road, Kennington
- Samina Bunker, 38, of Forest Road, Waltham Forest
- Ryan Simmons, 34, of Meliot Road, Lewisham
- Charlotte Kirin, 51, of Peckham Street, Bury St Edmunds
- Morgan Trowland, 37, of Massie Road, London
- Timothy Spears, 35, of Forest Road, Waltham Forest
- Hazel Steson, 56, of Ummars Road, Bury St Edmonds
- Gilbert Murrey, 62, of Hawthorne Avenue, Norwich
- Mark Fletcher, 45, of Alexandra House, Norwich
- Gabriela Ditton, 26, of Silver Road, Norwich
- Robert MacKenzie, 64, of Ipswich Road, Long Stratton, Norwich
- Christopher Ford, 43, of Carlton Way, Cambridge
- Jennifer Parkhouse, 68, of Vale Green, Norwich
- Michelle MacDonagh, 33, of Hazel Way, Chipstead, Coulsdon, Surrey.
The bail conditions for the 50 people are:
- Not to go within 100 metres of the boundary of any Newsprinters Ltd Premises.
- Not to enter greater London as denoted by the boundary of the M25 up to and including 13 September, subject to some exemptions.
- Not to enter Hertfordshire up to and including 13 September, subject to some exemptions.
- Not to attend any protest organised by, linked to or otherwise supporting the Extinction Rebellion at any location in the UK up to and including 13 September.