She’s not looking in bad shape for an old girl who has been around for half a millenium - it must be the new lease of life she’s been given.
We are talking about Berkhamsted’s oldest pub The Bull, which has re-opened under new licensees Russell and Michelle North.
Archives show that The Bull was operational before 1535, and today it backs onto the Grand Union Canal.
And owners Red Oak Taverns have worked with Russell and Michelle to give the famous pub a new lease of life.
Michelle said: “We are offering our customers a great family atmosphere along with a high quality homely food menu, opening daily from 9am for breakfast and coffee.
“The pub is beautiful with its original flooring and huge 5 foot by 5 foot working fireplace. We worked very closely with Red Oak Taverns to bring The Bull back to life.
“We have installed a new kitchen, created a covered decking area which can seat 50 people and will be fantastic in the summer, as well as totally re-furbishing the interiors.
“Red Oak Taverns has been great to work with throughout the whole process, listening to what we wanted and helping create the welcoming atmosphere that we desired.”
The team have also kept both a family and a local bent through the upgrade.
Russell and Michelle’s son Jake is the bar manager and has created a bespoke cocktail menu, while daughter Lucy and her boyfriend Oli plus Russell’s father Jim work part-time there too.
Meanwhile award-winning butcher, Eastwoods of Berkhamsted supply the team with meat for the kitchen.