Paramedics were called to assess four swimmers after a chlorine leak in a Hemel Hempstead pool yesterday.
The swimming pool at the Spirit Health Club – within the Holiday Inn on Breakspear Way – had to be evacuated following the discovery of the fault at around 7.30am.
Ambulance crews were called as a precaution to treat four people at the scene, none of whom were hurt but one was hospitalised due to symptoms including coughing.
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service Trust said: “Staff at the pool did brilliantly in making sure the casualties were brought to a safe environment so that we could assess them.
“There was one lady in her 50s who was showing symptoms such as coughing, so she was administered with oxygen and taken to Watford General Hospital for further assessment.”
Hotel general manager Steven Coulam said: “An additional amount of chlorine was added to our pool yesterday due to a technical glitch with the flow float switch.
“All safety and emergency procedures were activated immediately and I am pleased to report that no guests or employees suffered any injuries.
“We received the all clear to re-open the pool the same day, and the guest who was administered oxygen by the ambulance crew was happily swimming in the pool the next morning.”