Police have issued advice to help motorists in this evening’s rush hour as thick fog develops across the county.
People are warned to take extra care, drive more slowly and keep further away from the car in front.
Other advice includes:
- Use dipped headlights at all times along with wipers and demisters.
- Use fog lights if visibility continues to be seriously reduced, but remember to switch them off when visibility improves.
- Ensure you know how to switch on your fog lights before making your journey.
- Beware of other drivers not using headlights.
- Only drive as fast as conditions allow and maintain a greater distance between you and the car in front. Follow the three-second rule.
- At a junction with limited visibility, stop, wind down the window, and listen for traffic. When you are sure it is safe to emerge, do so positively and do not hesitate in a position that puts you directly in the path of approaching vehicles.